Scotland | Fife | Culross

Culross
Title: Culross
Description: Culross is a historic royal burgh on the banks of the Firth of Forth. Many buildings have been conserved by the National Trust for Scotland over many years with some open for viewing. These include the Palace, Town House and The Study. This view shows the town from the back of the Palace.
Date: April 1995
Culross - The Palace
Title: Culross - The Palace
Description: Just after re-opening in 1994, the Palace grounds, as shown here, were turned into an archaeological site. The Palace was built during the early 17th century and has impressive interiors with original features.
Date: April 1995
Culross - The Palace
Title: Culross - The Palace
Description: A view of the Palace during its restoration period.
Date: May 1992
Culross - The Palace
Title: Culross - The Palace
Description: Here we see the Palace with typical Scottish council houses in the background. The contrast is striking.
Date: May 1992
Culross - The Town House
Title: Culross - The Town House
Description: Culross Town House acts as the visitor centre with a selection of exhibitions.
Date: May 1992
Culross - The Square
Title: Culross - The Square
Description: This view shows Culross Town Square and the Mercat Cross.
Date: May 1992
Culross - The Study
Title: Culross - The Study
Description: The Study is another restored property in the centre of Culross. Pity about the parked cars!
Date: May 1992
Culross - The Abbey
Title: Culross - The Abbey
Description: Culross Abbey, a Cistercian monastery founded in 1217, is situated at the back of the town. The adjacent Church provides the local parish services. Culross was also the birthplace of St Mungo, the patron saint of Glasgow. Owned by Historic Scotland.
Date: May 1992
Culross - The Abbey
Title: Culross - The Abbey
Description: This view shows inside the Abbey with the more modern church tower alongside.
Date: May 1992
Culross - Kincardine Power Station
Title: Culross - Kincardine Power Station
Description: The Dunfermline to Kincardine railway line passes the shore at Culross. Sadly, still the missing link for passenger services between Dunfermline and Alloa. Coal trains used this route after leaving the Forth Bridge to reach the power station until the re-opening of the Stirling to Alloa/Kincardine line in 2008.
Date: May 2007
Culross - The Town Square
Title: Culross - The Town Square
Description: The Town Hall is now centrally located within a newly laid out square with the surrounding buildings fully restored by the National Trust for Scotland.
Date: May 2007
Culross - Memorial to 10th Earl of Dundonald
Title: Culross - Memorial to 10th Earl of Dundonald
Description: A memorial to the Admiral of the Fleet, Thomas Cochrane, the Tenth Earl of Dundonald has been erected in the town square. Known as the Sea Wolf during Napoleonic times he lived from 1775 to 1860 and was a daring and successful captain. His early years were spent in Culross where his family had an estate.
Date: May 2007
© 2005-2011 MortonDesign

Gallery Home