Scotland | Dumfries & Galloway | Broughton House

Broughton House
Title: Broughton House
Description: Broughton House, owned by the National Trust for Scotland, in its current form was built around 1734 and is situated off the High Street in Kirkcudbright. It has always been owned by major figures associated with the town and gained its name when bought by the Provost Alexander Murray in 1740. Kirkcudbright is also known as the Artist's Town and indeed the famous artist Edward Atkinson Hornel (1864-1933), one of the Glasgow Boys, owned and worked in the house. His studio is contained within the house which be bought in 1901.
Date: August 2006
Broughton House - Garden
Title: Broughton House - Garden
Description: Behind the house lies the large garden which leads down to the river Dee.
Date: August 2006
Broughton House - Garden
Title: Broughton House - Garden
Description: Another view of the garden. The house itself has been restored by the Trust and re-opened in April 2005. The garden was designed by Hornel himself and includes many paths and hidden areas.
Date: August 2006
Broughton House - Garden
Title: Broughton House - Garden
Description: Another view of the garden.
Date: August 2006
© 2006 MortonDesign

Gallery Home