Canada | Guelph | Church of Our Lady

The Church of Our Lady
Title: The Church of Our Lady
Description: Guelph's Church of Our Lady sits on the main hill in the center of town. This spot was reserved for the Catholic Church when Guelph was established in 1827 by John Galt. Originally the two towers were not part of the building, being added in 1926.
Date: September 2005
Church of Our Lady from the Speed River
Title: Church of Our Lady from the Speed River
Description: The Church is visible from all over the town center due to its prominent position on the high hill. This view was taken from the boathouse on the Speed River.
Date: August 2005
Church of Our Lady Entrance
Title: Church of Our Lady Entrance
Description: The fine entrance to the Church includes this "Lamb of God" mosaic.
Date: August 2005
The Two Towers
Title: The Two Towers
Description: Above the "Lamb of God" are the statues of John, Matthew, Luke and Mark with Paul and Peter. In the top pinnacle sits the statue of Our Lady with the two towers on either side. These were added in 1926. The first Church on the site, a wooden building, was started in 1835.
Date: August 2005
Inside the Church
Title: Inside the Church
Description: This view shows the fine stained-glass windows and stonework around the altar which itself was built in France.
Date: August 2005
Rose Window
Title: Rose Window
Description: The Rose Window is 18 feet wide and sits above the organ.
Date: August 2005
MacDonell Street
Title: MacDonell Street
Description: MacDonell Street was named after Bishop MacDonell, a friend of Guelph's founder John Galt. When the site of the Church was reserved during the first building in the town, a central road was built bearing his name. This view shows the street from the Church.
Date: August 2005
Church of Our Lady from Downtown
Title: Church of Our Lady from Downtown
Description: This view shows the Church from MacDonell Street.
Date: September 2005
Church of Our Lady - Rear View
Title: Church of Our Lady - Rear View
Description: This view of the church from the rear shows the extensive building behind the main facade.
Date: October 2006
Convent
Title: Convent
Description: This disused convent sits alongside the Church. There are plans to move the city museum into these old buildings.
Date: September 2005
© 2006 MortonDesign

Gallery Home